OptumLabs-UC Health Call for Proposals
As part of the ongoing strategic relationship between the University of California and OptumLabs, each year OptumLabs provides seven UC research project teams with OptumLabs-funded access (aka: “research credits”) to its data warehouse. OptumLabs is an open, collaborative center for research and innovation focused on improving patient care and value. The database includes de-identified plan enrollment information, medical and pharmacy claims, and lab results integrated across care settings and longitudinally linked at the patient level. Where available, the claims data are also linked to clinical data derived from EHRs.
Proposals will be solicited for research ideas that leverage the OptumLabs data. Examples of research projects using OptumLabs data include: variation in care, utilization, safety and efficacy, predictive modeling, policy and incentives, outcomes, methods, literature review, health economics, guidelines/quality of care, epidemiology, disparities, delivery of care, and comparative effectiveness.
Timeline (dates could vary slightly)
- Announce Call for Proposals: January 8, 2018
- Brief Research Proposal Form due February 2
- brief overview of project, data required, and resources available
- Review by UC BRAID-selected review committee and by OptumLabs research staff (the latter for feasibility only)
- Notification of selected candidates by end of March
- Additional details on the timeline, process for the OptumLabs review and data access will be described in the January 8 CFP announcement
- The Principal Investigator, or at least one Co-PI, must be full time faculty at one of the five UC academic medical centers (UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF) and eligible to submit grants
- Principal Investigators or Co-PIs at all 10 UC campuses are eligible on proposals (with at least one Co-PI meeting the above criteria)
Note: You do not have to wait for the competition to get started. If you wish to purchase a data license to access to the OptumLabs Data Warehouse, you can move forward immediately. You will find the Sandbox Fee Schedule on the UC-OptumLabs micro-site.
Get more information by visiting the UC-OptumLabs microsite/knowledge repository.
Ask questions about the OptumLabs data or your research idea by contacting Sarah Thayer, PhD (OptumLabs Director of Research).
Stay up to date on the latest OptumLabs opportunities and information by signing up for the OptumLabs listserv.
The University of California and UnitedHealth Group have formed a strategic partnership to collaborate and work strategically to improve healthcare. One aspect of the strategic relationship is the research collaboration with OptumLabs, a data-driven research and discovery center, with a focus on working with OptumLabs data sets, analytical tools and collaborations to advance clinical research and translation. OptumLabs is an open, collaborative center for research and innovation focused on improving patient care and value. Its comprehensive real-world data with over 160 million de-identified lives across claims and clinical information contains a rich, linked dataset that can be used to conduct broad or narrow investigations on populations and unique subsets within them. More information